This is an analysis of the poem The Swagman that begins with:
Oh, he was old and he was spare;
His bushy whiskers and his hair... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddbb eeffgghhbbddgg ddccXiggggeehhXeXggii
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,14,21,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11111111 01010101 01111101 11110111 11011101 11110101 11010101 01011111 11011101 11110101 11010101 11111101 11010111 01011111 110010111 11110101 11101101 110100001 11110001011 0110110011 101010111 11111101 11110011 11010101 11111101 11010101 11011101 01010111 10111011100 11110111 11010111 11111110 1100101001 11010111 1010101011 11010111 11011011 01011101 1011101010 11110111 10111001 11001101 11110111 11010111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 400
- Average number of words per stanza: 79
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, he are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Swagman;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.