This is an analysis of the poem The Homeward Track that begins with:
Once a year we lumber southward with the clip from Yarradee;
Spell the bullocks in the township while we run our yearly spree.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXaaXXbb ccddXXbb ddeeffbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 10111010001010 101000101111101 101000111011111 111011101110111 101111101010101 111010101010101 111110101011111 111010101010101 111010101110101 101011101010001 101010100010101 101010101010101 111111101110111 111110101010101 101000111110111 101010101010101 101010101111101 111011101010101 101010101010111 011110101011101 101110111011111 101010101110101 011011101011111 101110101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 520
- Average number of words per stanza: 99
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 64 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, our, when, in, to are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word track at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Homeward Track;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.