This is an analysis of the poem The Band that begins with:
Hey, there! Listen awhile! Listen awhile, and come.
Down in the street there are marching feet, and I hear the beat of a drum.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb baab ccdd caacXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111001100111 10011110111101001 111001111111 00010101010101 10101001011010111 111111 111111 11111111111010101 1101001100101 111011101111 101001101010010101 11011100110111 0101001011010101 110011111 111111 11111111111010001 101011 010001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 250
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 55 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; band, and, we, home, go are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word oh is repeated.
The author used the same word oh at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines home is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Band;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.