This is an analysis of the poem The Axeman that begins with:
High on the hills, where the tall trees grow,
There lives an axeman that 1 know.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccdd EecceEffeeaaeE ggeE hX heeddeE iieEffeeiiee ddeEaajjeege
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,14,4,2,7,12,12,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110110111 111100111 0010110101 11011101 111100101 100110101 11111110111 110110111 1111 1010110101 100100111 000110101 11101101001 1111 11111001 100100111 110101111 1111 101100111 0100110101 1010100101 1111 10110101 101100101 1011110111 1111 10100111 0100 100100101 1100100111 1111 10010111 100100101 11001111001 1111 10010101 0100100101 100110101 1111 101100110 10101001001 10111001101 1111 10101101 100111101 100101111 1111 0111001001 11110111 11010111 1111 10101101 111111001 010101111 100100101 11011011 11 111111 1
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 332
- Average number of words per stanza: 54
- Amount of lines: 59
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, to, and, look, at are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word chop at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Axeman;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.