This is an analysis of the poem One Dull Man that begins with:
Why did you play your spade in there? (said she).
I can't think why you don't take care (said she).... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddbbeefa aaffgghhaabbhhffXafaXaaha
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,25,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1011110111 1111111111 1111001001 11110111 11101101 11110100 11110111 10011101 11110111 11110101 11110111 010101101 11111101 1101010111 10111111111 1111111111 10111101 11010111 11011101 10010111 10111101 11111111 11010101 01011111 11111111 01010000 11111011 111101101 10111101 10010111 01010100 10010111 11110101 1111010111 0111110111 1101110111 11110111 1111110111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 477
- Average number of words per stanza: 93
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, i, said, she, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, and are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines she, he are repeated).
The poet repeated the same word she at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of One Dull Man;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.