This is an analysis of the poem Old Town Types No.2 - Red Matt that begins with:
He gleaned all the gossip and he gathered all the news,
Mad Matt, the carrier, delivering the grub;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababXcdc eeeeXXdC fgfgdXdC ehehXcdX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1110101110101 110100010001 11010101110101 01010101010101 111100010101 111100010101 111001011 01010111 101011010001 01110110101 101110010101 1010111111 101111110100 101111111001 1111001011 101010111 11010010101 1101110101 1011101110101 111111111 101011110101 10101011101 1111001011 101010111 10001110101 1010101010101 11111110101 10111011111 1111101101011 1111001010111 10111011011 111011111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 396
- Average number of words per stanza: 77
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, gossip, his, and, your, ' are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word that is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word team at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Old Town Types No.2 - Red Matt;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.