This is an analysis of the poem The Idle Son that begins with:
Young Benjamin left school this year
And stepped right in a job;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcXdcd Aeffecc bebeggcgc Ahiihjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,7,9,7,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11001101 111001 1110100101 1010101 11011101 10010110 110101 1010011101 100101 11110011 00100111 01010101 101011101 0011101 11010011 110110111 11110011 110001 101001101 100100 111010101 011110111 1010101 11010101 111001 11110011 0011101 11111001 11010100 1010101 10010101 01111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 269
- Average number of words per stanza: 53
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Idle Son;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.