This is an analysis of the poem The Queen's Delight (A Ballad Of Master Mariners) that begins with:
Goriana's mood was bitter, Gloriana's brow was black,
She railed upon her ladies - there was none durst answer back;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccbbddeX ddffdd gghhfX XhhXii ddbbjj hhdXd dd hhbbeX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,6,6,6,6,5,2,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1001110100111 11010101111101 11110101010001 1101101111101 111101001110111 101010100110101 111110101011111 11010101010101 101110101011101 111010100010111 11110101110101 111101001111110 10000101010111 1101011110111 001000101110101 11010111011101 1111010110101 11010100110111 1101010011011 0101110011111 1111110111100 110010100011001 1101110110111 01011101010010 10110100110101 11111010111101 1101010110001 11010100110100 11111010110111 11010100110001 0101010110011 1101011110111 11011100010101 11000100111111 11010100011101 11010100111101 10000101011101 1101010110111 1111110111101 1101110110 101 0101010110111 1011010110001 1001110011111 1001010010100 0111010110111 01010100011101 0101110010111 011111001010100
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 410
- Average number of words per stanza: 73
- Amount of lines: 50
- Average number of symbols per line: 57 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; she, of, and, in, they, their, with are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words she, he, and, they are repeated.
The author used the same word they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Queen's Delight (A Ballad Of Master Mariners);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Cicely Fox Smith
- Analysis of The Queen's Ships
- Analysis of The Quest (Horses For The Army)
- Analysis of The Quest Of The Queen