This is an analysis of the poem The Orion's Figurehead At Whitehall that begins with:
All wind and rain, the clouds fled fast across the evening sky -
Whitehall aglimmer like a beach the tide has scarce left dry -...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabcd Cd b ccXd cd Cd dXd eebcd Cd b ddacd Cd a bbacd Cd a ffacd Cd X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,2,1,4,2,2,3,5,2,1,5,2,1,5,2,1,5,2,1,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110111010101 11100101011111 11110101110101 0011 010 0101 010 0011111 111001111011101 11011101100101 11 1110100010100 0011 010 0101 010 1 100 101 11111101110111 11011101010111 01111111111101 1011 010 0101 010 0010101 11011101111111 11111111011111 11110101111101 1011 010 0101 010 110101 11000101110101 10011001110101 11011101110111 11 010 101 010 0011011 10010101110001 10010101111101 1010101111010101 11 010 101 010 1110101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 268
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 64
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, they, it, game are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, they are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Orion's Figurehead At Whitehall;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.