This is an analysis of the poem The Grey Wolf that begins with:
The grey wolf stood in the ruin hoar,
The wolf that hunts alone:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXbabaXACA dedefgfgXACA efeXhafaXACA XbXbheheiaia eeeeXbaXXACA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,12,12,12,12,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 011100101 011101 01110101 010110 01000101 1101001 11010101 110101 1111111010 101000110111 0010111010100010 1011111 11101111 111101 1011110111 00100111 11111101 111111 1010110101 110001 1111111010 101000110111 0010111010100010 1011111 11110001 111101 11110101 111101 01110001 011101 11010101 010101 1111111010 101000110111 0010111010100010 1011111 11000111 111101 11010101 010111 11010101 010111 10010111 010101 1111101110 100010110111 1110101010101110 1110101 11010111 111101 11010111 011101 010101110 111101 01010101 010110 11111101010 101000110111 0010111010100010 1011111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 453
- Average number of words per stanza: 86
- Amount of lines: 60
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; wolf is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word fear at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Grey Wolf;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.