This is an analysis of the poem The Defaulter that begins with:
The regimental jackdaw 'as a bright an' beady eye;
'E sits upon the tent-pole an' 'e winks both bold an' sly:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXA bbaA bbaA ccXA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010101011101 11010111111111 1111010101111 111110101111111 01010101010101 11011110111101 11110111111101 111110101111111 01010101111111 11010111111101 11010100110110 111110101111111 0101010110100111 11110101111101 11101011111011 111110101111111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 226
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 56 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; an', 'e, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word 'e is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word me at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Defaulter;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.