This is an analysis of the poem Hollinshead Hall that begins with:
Silent the ruined house, slowly rotting and falling;
Empty the great barns, dumb and lifeless and blind;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababaaaX cdcdbbbX efefgggX hdhdgggX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1001011010110 10011111011 1101101001010 110111101101 110110110110 10110100101010 11010001110 11101010111 111111010011 1100101011011 1001101100111 101110101001 10010011010 1011010011010 11011111010 11101001101 11011101110 1001011101 11100010111010 1110010010101 1111110111110 111110111110 11010101010 11101010111 111011110010 110010011101 0000110111110 11110110111 0101010111010010 01100111010010 11010111010 10010111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 418
- Average number of words per stanza: 75
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 51 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, for, of, no, but, though are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words but, ah, no are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Hollinshead Hall;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.