This is an analysis of the poem A Ballad Of Old And New that begins with:
As I went down through Portsmouth Town, with my bundle in my hand,
I met a chap in a pigtail rig, just newly come to land;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabX aabX ccbX ddbX aabX ccbX bXbX eebX faXfbX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111111010110011 110100101110101 11010011110011111 010111011010011 111111011110111 11111111011101 1001110011110100 1101110110100110 11111101111111 11011101010111 110111111100111 110111110100100110 11111100111111 101110101010101 11011111110111 1010100100110100110 10111101111101 110111110010101 11010111110111 11110010110100110 11011101110101 11111111011101 11010101011101 1101000111000110 110101011100101 10100101011101 1011111110011101 10111110100100110 1111001011110011101 0111100111101101011 1010101111111011010 10101110110100110 11111101011101 110101 100 111101001 1010101111100101 101111100110110110
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 272
- Average number of words per stanza: 56
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 64 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, with, what, ', and, ships, of, that, as are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, can are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines us is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Ballad Of Old And New;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.