This is an analysis of the poem To Mr. Edward Howard, On His Incomparable, Incomprehensible Poem Called The British Princes that begins with:
Come on, ye critics! Find one fault who dare,
For, read it backward like a witch's prayer, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddbbeeffeeXXddccggbbhffX XXhh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 30,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1111011111 1101010101 1111110111 1101010111 11110110101 0101101111 1001010001 1100110101 010110101 1111111111 11111111010 111011010100 1101111101 1111110101 1001011101 1001110101 11001110001 1110011101 11001011111 1101010011 1101000101 1011110111 10010100110 11010100010 1100110111001 1001010111 0101011101 1011110001 11011010001 1111110110 1101110001 1111110100 1111011011 0101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 754
- Average number of words per stanza: 135
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; as is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words as, thou are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Mr. Edward Howard, On His Incomparable, Incomprehensible Poem Called The British Princes;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.