This is an analysis of the poem The Rains that begins with:
You've watched the ground-hog's shadow and the shiftin' weather signs
Till the Northern prairie starred itse'f with flowers;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaababacdcdefefgcgcaaaahbhbhihijajacaXXcacagaga
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 48,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011111010101 101010110010 11010101010101 101010100010 11010111010101 10101010101 011010110011001 10101010101 01011111011101 0101010101 11010101110101 1101010101 01110101010111 11010101010 11010111110101 1101001010010 01110101010111 1101011101 01111110011111 01001110001 01110101010101 0101110111 0101010101101 1101010101 01110101110111 0101110001 01011101010101 10101110101 11110101010111 0101010101 01010101010101 1011111001 11010111011111 0101010101 0101010110101 1101011011 101010101010101 10101010101 110101010101010 100101010101 11111100010111 11101011101 11111101011101 10100110101 111010101011101 10101011101 101111101110001 01101010001
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 2633
- Average number of words per stanza: 482
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 54 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, sun are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Rains;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.