This is an analysis of the poem Duke that begins with:
He was hit back of the head for a haul of $15,
a Diner’s Club Card and picture of his daughter in a helmet...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabc deaX XaXX bbdd bbbb Xabf eXbX afcX aXXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111100110101 0101111000100010 10110001110 0010101100111 1011111011100 11001110100 11101110111 01101111001 101011110001 0111011010111 0101010111110 10100010101010101 11111100111001 10111111101 11001001010010 010011111010 1001111110101 0011011001111 1111001101010010 1110110111001 01110111010010 1110011101111 1010011101 11001100010100 010111101010 1100110001111110 0010111110 01001101 1111010110111011 11101110001 10101011011101 111100010101 11101111001 10110111101011 01110011011101 1110011111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 205
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 51 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, he, you, for are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Duke;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Bob Hicok
- Analysis of For Three Whose Reflex Was Yes
- Analysis of In Michael Robins’s Class Minus One
- Analysis of Report From The Black Box