This is an analysis of the poem The Old Place that begins with:
SO the last day’s come at last, the close of my fifteen year—
The end of the hope, an’ the struggles, an’ messes I’ve put in here. ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcc ddaaddee ffeebbXXffbbgg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,8,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 10111110101011 0100110101101101 10010100101001 0101011010110111 10110111111101 010100011011001 10011111111101 100100111011111101 0111101010101001 110111110111101 1111111111011011 1010011101001001 10111111110111011 10101111111111011 11110011011111 110101111101011 010110101111001 10011010110101111 1111101111111111 101100100101101 011100111110100 10101001110000111001 10111011011101 1011101001110011 100110011110101 01110111110111 1110011110111101 01110110111111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1986
- Average number of words per stanza: 380
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 65 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, your, in, clear, d, that are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Old Place;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.