This is an analysis of the poem The Swagman that begins with:
Kind friends, pray give attention
To this, my little song.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdCDCD bebefdXd XeaeadXd FFXfXXdXDddgdgXdfDCD
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,8,8,20,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111010 001101 1111010 1110111 111010 110111 001010100 111101 001010100 111101 1111010 1110101 1111010 1111101 1110101 111111 11111001 1111011 1101010 1101111 1111111 110101 11110010 010001 1001111101 11110101 10101010001 10101010001 0010111 0110101 11111010 111011101 110111 1111010 111101 00101 11111101 111111 1001011 1111101 10110101 110111 1111110 111101 001010100 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 336
- Average number of words per stanza: 68
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; for is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words says, for are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines hut is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word c at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Swagman;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.