This is an analysis of the poem 1919 that begins with:
Before the threat
And dismal cold gray ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcd BEEf dXdg dhhaaaij E jhjhHhaX kXXkHhHH E jiead hXDdhDhaD jad h Xca E hadhhfghh BeXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,8,1,8,8,1,5,9,3,1,3,1,9,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0101 11011 010 101 110101 101001 101001 11 011 100101 11010011 1011010 01101 001101 01010 1 111 1 00 11010 101001 110 1 0110 10 11010 10 00100 1 111 1 1 1 11010 1101 111001101 111001101 101001 1110 10100 010101011 11101011 010100011010 010010 1 001011 01010 1 001011 010001 01 001011 0100 010001 011 11001101 01010 010010 1101 101001 11 001001 10001011 111011 0101 0101 01101100 0110101 01101 110101 11 10100011 0010001
- Amount of stanzas: 16
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 87
- Average number of words per stanza: 15
- Amount of lines: 73
- Average number of symbols per line: 18 (very short strings)
- Average number of words per line: 3
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; turned, too, many are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words should've, in, too, far, the are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines sleep, faces, things are repeated).
The poet repeated the same word sun at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase faces connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of 1919;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Anonymous Americas
- Analysis of At Liberty I Sit And See
- Analysis of Ay Me, Ay Me, I Sigh The Scythe A-Field
- Analysis of Friendship