This is an analysis of the poem The Narrow Way that begins with:
Believe not those who say
The upward path is smooth,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXaXbaba cdcd efef gaga ghgh ieie jiji dgdgXjgjg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 011111 010101 11110001 110101 000101 100101 11111101 1101001 111101 010111 11010101 0101001 110101 111111 11111101 110101 111101 110101 110101001 110101 110001 111101 11010101 100111 111101 110101 01110101 1101001 011101 010101 01110101 111101 001101 111101 11011101 111111 11001101 100111 11010001 010001
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 133
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and, thy are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word to is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Narrow Way;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.