This is an analysis of the poem A Word To The Calvinists that begins with:
You may rejoice to think yourselves secure,
You may be grateful for the gift divine,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd abXb efeg hchc bgbf cbcb ifif hehe ijij fcfcXhhhh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 1101011001 1101010101 1110111111 11110101001 1001010111 1001001100 1101111111 1111011101 11001111101 01010101110 01110101010 110101001010 11001111101 0111010011 0101010101 1111010100 1111010111 1111001101 01010010101 1111110101 1111011101 0101010100 1111011101 1101110101 1101010111 10000101010 1111010101 11110101010 11110111 011111 11010101 111110 11010111 011111 11010101 010101 110010111 010101 11110101 011101 11110101 110101 01110101 011101 11010101 010101 11011101 111111
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 165
- Average number of words per stanza: 31
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and, you, your are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, because, and are repeated.
The author used the same words and, that at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Word To The Calvinists;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.