This is an analysis of the poem Playing Dead that begins with:
Our father liked to play a game.
He played that he was dead. ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXb cdXd Xefe gbXb baXa cgbX eXfa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11010101 111111 11011101 111101 11011101 110101 11010101 111111 11010111 011101 11011111 111101 11110101 110001 1110111 111111 11011101 1111010 01011101 11111010 11111001 1110010 11110001 1111101 01111111 0111010 101111111 0111010
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1007
- Average number of words per stanza: 173
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, his are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Playing Dead;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.