This is an analysis of the poem Convalescent [what! 'Out Of Danger?' Can The Slighted Dame] that begins with:
What! 'Out of danger?' Can the slighted Dame
Or canting Pharisee no more defame?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccccccdd eeffddXeccXXggcc ddccbXhhcceeXee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,16,15,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1101010101 110101101 0100011111 1101100111 1000010001 1101010101 0101110101 1100010101 0100110101 1101011101 1100011111 1101010101 1101010001 1001010001 0101010101 1101000101 0100010111 11100110111 01010001010 0110010101 1111010001 1100010111 0101010101 1100010100 1101010101 1101010101 1111010001 0100010011 1101010101 1101000101 0100000101 1100010101 10110011110 10110101110 0101010101 0101100101 0101100001 1001000101 10110100101 1101011101 0101100101 11010111001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 432
- Average number of words per stanza: 73
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, his, and, their are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words who, the are repeated.
The author used the same word what at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Convalescent [what! 'Out Of Danger?' Can The Slighted Dame];
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.