This is an analysis of the poem A Prayer [sweet Spirit Of Cesspool, Hear A Mother's Prayer] that begins with:
Sweet Spirit of Cesspool, hear a mother's prayer:
Her terrors pacify and offspring spare!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11001110101 0101011111 011000111 11010110101 0110001101 1001010001 1011010001 11010011001
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 331
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Prayer [sweet Spirit Of Cesspool, Hear A Mother's Prayer];
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.