This is an analysis of the poem A Controversialist that begins with:
I've sometimes wished that Ingersoll were wise
To hold his tongue, nor rail against the skies;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXX bbXbXbbbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1011110001 0101110101 1111011101 1100010010 1101100101 1100011100 1111100111 1101010001 10100110101 10101110100 1111110101 1111010101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 166
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Controversialist;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.