This is an analysis of the poem Sunflower Sutra that begins with:
I walked on the banks of the tincan banana dock and sat down under the huge shade of a Southern Pacific locomotive to look for the sunset over the...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a b b c d c a X X e f e f d f X X X c X eXe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1110100100101111100110010010101001101110011111 1100101110101010101011011001111111010101110100100 0101010101001111110101011101111001110110111101111010110110 110110111101111010111011011100101011 11101001111101000111010 1100101010101101001101001101001011000010001011011110101001110101101100001 10111010101110111000111110101010001 010010111110101011101001100101010110010101010110110100 11111100110001111100101010011011001 01010111011101111111 011111111101010 11101110101111101111011011011101010001010111010010111001010110101 111101110101111101010011011111010110010001110001010101010100110110111110110011010101101010101101010110010011 01001101111001100111110011 0011000110001100101100100110010011111011010100011111110101 1101111100011111010011111101 11101010110010101111110110110010110100100101001011001100101001010 101011010110100110 11101011010100111 1111010011101101111010 101011001111111100110 1111011111110100010101110110011111110100100101000111011000111111110011001101010111101010101010
- Amount of stanzas: 22
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 172
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 22
- Average number of symbols per line: 173 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 30
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, on, its, that, out, your, in, you, locomotive, sunflower are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sunflower Sutra;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.