This is an analysis of the poem Lost that begins with:
Sweet lark! that, bedded in the tangled grass,
Protractest dewy slumbers, wake, arise!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd eeeefdfd gfgXdddd fgfghdhdXffffdbdb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111000101 1001010101 0101000101 11011100001 1111110001 10101110101 1111010111 110101 1101000101 1111101111 1101111111 1011100101 11111100111 11111010111 1111110111 110101 1111000101 0101010111 1011111011 1101101101 1001110101 1011111111 1111010011 100101 11001011101 11111011101 1101011111 1111101101 1111010101 1011010101 1011011101 111101 1111100111 1101110101 11111100101 0111111110 1111111111 1111111101 1101001111 100011
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 345
- Average number of words per stanza: 64
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, she are repeated.
The author used the same word sweet at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word there at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lost;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.