This is an analysis of the poem Henry Bartle Edward Frere that begins with:
Bend down and read-the birth, the death, the name.
Born in the year that Waterloo was won,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaabbacddccd effeeffeeaaeea
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111010101 1001110111 1100111111 1101010101 1101010101 1101110111 1101111111 1001000101 0001010111 00110010101 1101111111 1100011100 01011001001 1101000101 1111011101 1111010111 1111110001 1101110101 1001011101 1101010001 1101001111 1101111111 01011101001 110010010101 01010100111 10001110101 1111111111 10101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 623
- Average number of words per stanza: 118
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in, and, our are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Henry Bartle Edward Frere;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.