This is an analysis of the poem By Life Tormented that begins with:
By life tormented, and by cunning hope,
When my soul surrenders in its battle with them,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcd defG fhXi dXjb jgib dhbi fXda bbXG cXei
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111011101 111010001000 111111111 101010001010 01010001010 11001101010 110001101001 011011010 1010010011010 1001001010011 1110101000100 11011110101 100010110010 01010001010 10011001010 11010100001 111101001010 1100101010100 011010110101 0010110101 1010101100 111111010001 10010000100 1110111011 0010110001001 110111001 0010010101 10101010001 0111001001 010111101 11000111010010 011011010 111110001 011101001 111011111 1111111011
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 168
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, but, dream are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word dream at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of By Life Tormented;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.