This is an analysis of the poem Thora's Song ('Ashtaroth') that begins with:
We severed in Autumn early,
Ere the earth was torn by the plough;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcD aeaeedeD XbXbcdcD ffXfXdcD ghghcdcd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11001010 10111101 011011010 1110101 110011010 10101101 101011010 1101101 11010110 00100101 0111110 1100111 01111010 10101101 11101110 1101101 01110110 01101001 101110100 0110101 001110110 10111001 111001110 1101101 11011110 00100101 11111110 11100101 11001110 1100101 111010110 1101101 1011010 1011001 11011110 1101101 11011110 1111101 111110010 1101101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 269
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, no are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, there, no are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word again at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Thora's Song ('Ashtaroth');
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.