This is an analysis of the poem The Talented Man that begins with:
Dear Alice! you'll laugh when you know it, --
Last week, at the Duchess's ball, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd efefXdXd bgbgXdhd ijijdddd bdbdhdhd kjkjlXld dadaeded dhdXldld
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110111110 1110101 110010110 11011011 110110010 11111101 010110010 10101001 111010010 111110001 1011011010 010001001 010110110 11111111 111110110 01101001 010111010 11011111 011010010 01011111 010011100 11101111 1010110010 11001001 111110111 101001101 111011111 1111001011 111110010 11101011 110011010 01001001 1011010010 11111001 111010010 11101001 110110110 111111001 0110010010 11101001 1100110111 01111101 111110111 11011011 1011011110 01111010 111011010 11101001 110111010 11011001 110010110 11011001 1011110010 11001101 010110110 01001001 11111010 11011101 010110010 11011101 111110010 01011011 110100010 11001001
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 294
- Average number of words per stanza: 54
- Amount of lines: 64
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; as, stories, jests, i, but are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, of, the, i, and are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word man at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Talented Man;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.