This is an analysis of the poem Jottings Of New York that begins with:
Oh, mighty city of New York, you are wonderful to behold--
Your buildings are magnificent-- the truth be it told--... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb ccccdd ddeee eeff gXbb bbhhXd ddgg ccdd ddbb eecc ccee hhddXbbff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,6,5,4,4,6,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1101001111100001 1101010001001 1001011100111 011000111101 1111010010001 01000010101010011 1011101001 0101110100111 1011100101101 11101110010001 11101010101001 110101011011 1100100111 101010101101 110100111101 1110010011 11010101101 10110100101001 1101111011010111 1110101111011 100101000100110 10011101 010011010111 110101011101101 10010011111101 010101011011 1111110101 1101010111111 101101010011001 101001011011 1001100101001 01101001111 1101010111010001 1100111111001 100101101010101 10100011001 01010100110111 111101001011 110101010111 101010011001 0100101111001001 11101101001 11000101101 0010101001101 1001000011101 1101011011001 101100111 111001100101 01010101001 111100010111 1001011001 0111101101 111000111001 1001011101101 011110111001 1010110010011 110111101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 224
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 57
- Average number of symbols per line: 51 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, to, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Jottings Of New York;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Topaz McGonagall
- Analysis of Broughty Ferry
- Analysis of The Great Franchise Demonstration
- Analysis of The Troubles Of Matthew Mahoney