This is an analysis of the poem Death And Burial Of Lord Tennyson that begins with:
Alas! England now mourns for her poet that's gone-
The late and the good Lord Tennyson.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb ccaa ddee XXaa eecc cfgg XXcf hhii ccaX XXaa aaXdXffaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 011011101011 011001100 11011101001 1101010111 110111011100 011001010010 10101010001 11110010011001 111011100100001 0100011101001 10010100101 010101011001 101001010010 1101110101101 1110000101101 111011001101 1100111001000011 11001101000 11011100101000100 1111110010110 00111011010 1010011001001 010101011101 100100110010001010 011010100100101001110 10101010010010101000 110101010110110100 10110111010101 101010101010 011010111110 10110100101001 11100111010101 01100100100100 010010001011010100110100110 11010100110110010100 1011011110110 01000111010110 1110110110101100 1100010101110001 101000101101011 0101011010101 10110100010101 11101001100 001011110010 10010111001 10100010100110101 00101001111 10101101001
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 207
- Average number of words per stanza: 37
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 51 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; company, his, and, of, tennyson, mr are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same words he, the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Death And Burial Of Lord Tennyson;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Topaz McGonagall
- Analysis of The First Grenadier Of France
- Analysis of The Battle Of Cressy
- Analysis of The Burial Of Mr. Gladstone