This is an analysis of the poem Sonnet 140: Be Wise As Thou Art Cruel; Do Not Press that begins with:
Be wise as thou art cruel; do not press
My tongue-tied patience with too much disdain,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababXcXcdededd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 0111110111 1111001101 1101111101 0100110101 0111111000 1101110111 1101111101 1111010101 1011011111 1011011101 1011010111 1100111100000 1111011101 1111111111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 632
- Average number of words per stanza: 122
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; mad is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sonnet 140: Be Wise As Thou Art Cruel; Do Not Press;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Shakespeare
- Analysis of Sonnet 66: Tired With All These, For Restful Death I Cry
- Analysis of Sonnet 143: Lo, As A Careful Huswife Runs To Catch
- Analysis of Sonnet 122: Thy Gift, Thy Tables, Are Within My Brain