This is an analysis of the poem The Reward Of Merit that begins with:
DR. BELVILLE was regarded as the CRICHTON of his age:
His tragedies were reckoned much too thoughtful for the stage;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbXcddEEXC ccffggggEEXC hhiiggcceeee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,12,12,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 101110101010001 01000101110101 01010101110101 11010101011101 11010101110101000 11010101110101 10101110111001 01011101110101 110101 1011001 010101000101010 11111101010001 11010101010101 01110101010101 101011001010101 111010111010001 01010100010001 01010100010101 001010111011101 11010111010101 110101 1011001 010101000101010 11111101010001 11011101010101 101010111010101 001010100011101 101110101010001 1010101001010001 101100101011001 11110100010011 101010100010101 1011101 1001101 1110111000110101 11010100010101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 622
- Average number of words per stanza: 111
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 51 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, very, and, this, in, to, it, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words his, that are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word plan at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Reward Of Merit;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.