This is an analysis of the poem A Man Who Would Woo A Fair Maid that begins with:
A man who would woo a fair maid,
Should 'prentice himself to the trade;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbacXddcEEFFE ggaaXhhiihEEFFEXbbiibaaiiaEEFFE
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 15,31,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01111011 11001001 11011 001001 101001101 111001111 110010010 11101 010101 111001001 001001001 11101010 11001 111001 011011001 011011001 01111001 11001 011101 11001011 111101001 111011011 011001 001001 11001011 001001001 11101010 11001 111001 011011001 101101011 001001001 011001 001001 111011011 101001011 011001001 011101 101101 111001111 001001001 11101010 11001 111001 011011001
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 450
- Average number of words per stanza: 92
- Amount of lines: 45
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, if, it are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word jill at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Man Who Would Woo A Fair Maid;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.