This is an analysis of the poem Agnes And The Hill-Man that begins with:
TRANSLATED FROM THE DANISH.
Agnes went through the meadows a-weeping,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X aAaBcc dd Xe aa ff gg Xe gg hh ee gg hh ff cc XXXdAdB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,6,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,7,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 0100010 1011011010 11010 1101111110 10110 100111001 01001011101 111001101 11001101101 001111010111 101110111011 111110110010 111101010010 100101101 11100100101 010111101 11111101101 11111101110 111011101 1111100101 0110111101 1111100111 1110111001 111111111 11010101 11011101 0010111011 11110111 110111001 110111001 100101011 1100001101 11101111011 101101111001 110010110100 1111011011 11010 1111001111 10110
- Amount of stanzas: 17
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 94
- Average number of words per stanza: 18
- Amount of lines: 39
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; agnes, thou, so, that, and, she, to, for, greet are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words so, and are repeated.
The author used the same words so, and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Agnes And The Hill-Man;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.