This is an analysis of the poem A Death Song that begins with:
What cometh here from west to east awending?
And who are these, the marchers stern and slow?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabaCC bdbdCC XefeCCXfefeCC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11010101100 1111010111 11010101110 0101110111 1111110111 1111011101 11010101010 1111110111 11010111010 1111010111 1111110111 1111011101 10111111010 1111000101 11111101110 1101110101 1111110111 1111011101 11011111110 01011101001 10010101010 1111010101 1111110111 1111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 276
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, they, one are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words we, they are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word day at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Death Song;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.