This is an analysis of the poem The Indian Girl's Lament that begins with:
An Indian girl was sitting where
Her lover, slain in battle, slept;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc dedebb ebebff eeeebb bebegg bhbhaa eieibb jijiee bbbbaX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 110011101 01010101 01010111 1110111 11000111 01110111 11010111 11011101 11010111 1111011 11000111 01010111 11010101 11100101 11000101 111101 11010101 11011101 110100101 11111101 11111101 011111 110100101 11010101 11011111 11100101 11011111 010111 11110101 0100001001 11011111 01110001 10010111 110011 01011101 010101001 110111001 101110101 00111111 1101001 11110101 01111101 11110111 10010101 11011101 010001 010111111 01010101 11111101 11010101 110011011 001101 110100101 01001111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 206
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, thy, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words her, thy, and are repeated.
The author used the same word 'and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Indian Girl's Lament;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.