This is an analysis of the poem A Dream that begins with:
I had a dream--a strange, wild dream--
Said a dear voice at early light;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd dede ffff Xgdg hihi fifi iiii bbbb jkjk djdj gcgc iaiX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11010111 10111101 11010111 01001101 110011101 11010111 111100101 10110001 11010101 1100101001 11010111 010100101 110101001 11110001 11011101 01011101 11110110 110000101 111100111 01010111 11111111 11011101 111100111 01011101 11010111 01010101 110101000 00110111 01010101 01011101 110111001 11010101 11010111 01111001 01010101 01011101 10011111 01010111 10110001 01111101 11011101 11011111 11110111 11110101 11110101 11010101 11111101 11010111 11010111 01001101 11010111 11000101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 151
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; with, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Dream;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.