His master taken from his head,
Elisha saw him go;
And in desponding accents said,
'Ah, what must Israel do?'
But he forgot the Lord who lifts
The beggar to the throne;
Nor knew that all Elijah's gifts
Would soon be made his own.
What! when a Paul has run his course,
Or when Apollos dies,
Is Israel left without resource,
And have we no supplies?
Yes, while the dear Redeemer lives,
We have a boundless store,
And shall be fed with what He gives,
Who lives for evermore.
More verses by William Cowper
- On Delia (Bid Adieu, My Sad Heart)
- On A True Friend (From The Greek)
- Olney Hymn 18: Lovest Thou Me?
- Olney Hymn 10: The Future Peace And Glory Of The Church
- Olney Hymn 15: Praise For The Fountain Opened