This is the feast of heavenly wine,
And God invites to sup;
The juices of the living Vine
Were press'd to fill the cup.
Oh! bless the Saviour, ye that eat,
With royal dainties fed;
Not heaven affords a costlier treat,
For Jesus is the bread.
The vile, the lost, He calls to them;
Ye trembling souls, appear!
The righteous in their own esteem
Have no acceptance here.
Approach, ye poor, nor dare refuse
The banquet spread for you;
Dear Saviour, this is welcome news,
Then I may venture too.
If guilt and sin afford a plea,
And may obtain a place,
Surely the Lord will welcome me,
And I shall see his face.
More verses by William Cowper
- Lively Hope And Gracious Fear
- Epigram : On The Inventor Of Gunpowder (Translated From Milton)
- Olney Hymn 1: Walking With God
- Jehovah-Rophi. I Am The Lord That Healeth Thee
- No Sorrow Peculiar To The Sufferer