This is an analysis of the poem To Mrs. Newton that begins with:
A noble theme demands a noble verse,
In such I thank you for your fine oysters.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbbccXcddddeeffaaccggeehh ccXXiijjii
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 26,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0101010101 0111111110 0101010001 1101010111 1101000101 1111010111 11010011100 0101101011 0101010101 0101010001 0100011101 0101110111 01000111001 1111010101 1101111111 0101011110 1111010001 0101000101 1101010011 0101000111 1111010001 0111110101 1100110101 11111110011 1101010111 1001010111 1111111101 1101010011 11010101010 1001010001 1101010101 1111010011 1111110001 10110111111 1101010101 1101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 771
- Average number of words per stanza: 141
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; she, and, good, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word for is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Mrs. Newton;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.