This is an analysis of the poem The Poet's New-Year's Gift. To Mrs. (Afterwards Lady) Throckmorton that begins with:
Maria! I have every good
For thee wished many a time,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab acac dede dfdf gaga
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010111000 1111001 11100101 110101 01110011 1101110 110100111 0101010 11011101 1111010 01010101 0111010 11010101 110101 111101001 110101 11111101 111101 11000101 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 122
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; more, or, in, it are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Poet's New-Year's Gift. To Mrs. (Afterwards Lady) Throckmorton;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Cowper
- Analysis of The Salad. By Virgil
- Analysis of The Secrets Of Divine Love Are To Be Kept
- Analysis of The Testimony Of Divine Adoption