This is an analysis of the poem The Glowworm that begins with:
Beneath the hedge or near the stream,
A worm is known to stray, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd efef eded ecec gggg ahah
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011101 010101 11110101 110111 01101101 010101 11110001 110001 10010101 110101 11010001 010001 01010101 110101 010100111 010111 11011101 111101 010100111 111001 100110101 010011 110010111 111101 11110101 1100101 11010101 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 126
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Glowworm;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Cowper
- Analysis of The Four Ages. A Brief Fragment Of An Extensive Projected Poem
- Analysis of The Perfect Sacrifice
- Analysis of Truth