This is an analysis of the poem The Touchstone that begins with:
A man there came, whence none could tell,
Bearing a Touchstone in his hand; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abba Xccd eXfe bccX addX bbXb gffg hXXh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 01111111 10011001 11011001 101001 11010001 01010101 10110011 110101 01110111 01010111 11011001 100101 11000101 11110101 11011111 101111 11111101 01010101 11110111 1100111 11111001 100100111 0101101000 01001 11011101 110010101 11011101 010011 11011100 01010111 11010110 010101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 136
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Touchstone;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.