This is an analysis of the poem Stagnant Water that begins with:
Here lies a ditch of hopeless stagnant water,
Fresh breezes can't breathe half a ripple from its skin....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbXb bcdX acdc adbd AeeeXb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101010 110111010001 10111101101 1101100100 01010011001 101011101001 11111010101 11111101001 1101100100110 1001010011 110111010011 111010100101 11010100110 1111010101 0011010101010 1101010101 11010101010 01011110011 101101001010 1111010001 1001110
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 160
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 21
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; pearls is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Stagnant Water;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.