This is an analysis of the poem Song Of Myself, XXXV that begins with:
Would you hear of an old-time sea-fight?
Would you learn who won by the light of the moon and stars?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abc ccd ab ef Xfb ba eeg gehdad Xg dg h gXbXd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,2,2,3,2,3,6,2,2,1,5,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111011111 1111110100111 100111110100101001 1111100111111 01010101110110110110111000 01010111100101 1101010100101 110110011 11011011110010 11101111101110110101011101101 101111011 101110111111101111010010 01011100100010010101001101 010010010101110100 111101101111101 110110 0101010110 01101110101 1111011101011010 1111110001111101 10010 1011101 1001010100101010011 1110111001001001101 01011001000101000100011 1111010010010 10101 0111101010101010101 10011010100100011110 01101010 1011001010111 0111101111010 0111001001101001
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 153
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 33
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, and, at, to, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words would, the are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Song Of Myself, XXXV;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.