This is an analysis of the poem Song Of Myself, XLIX that begins with:
And as to you Death, and you bitter hug of mortality, it is idle to try to alarm me.
To his work without flinching the accoucheur comes,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bcbX acb XX Xbc ddXb dXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,3,2,3,4,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101111101001000010010011 001011001001 11010110010010 101101001001001 1101111001101 1101111110011111011 110110110110 11001011100101010 11011110110100101 1111111110101 111100111010 11110110100011110 011111011111101 0010111001010 00110101001011 110011111011101001 100101000011 101001101001 10110101001010010 11000101100011111
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 173
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and, i, o, of, you, that, from are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, and, of, toss are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Song Of Myself, XLIX;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.