This is an analysis of the poem Over The Carnage that begins with:
OVER the carnage rose prophetic a voice,
Be not dishearten'd--Affection shall solve the problems of Freedom... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcca aXd ef XXXX bd gfgee fX eXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,3,2,4,2,5,2,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10010101001 0101001011010010 1 1111101010100111 101000100 100100111100100 11110100101001000 1 11011010010 0100101101010111 10101010010011 01101101010101100010 11 1100110110100011 01001000111001 1001010110110011 01010100010110110 010 0110111110110 001001001010 00100001001011 11111111011010 11001101100101011 01100010101010 11101010101111 11011101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 173
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 26
- Average number of symbols per line: 53 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, be, from, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines yet, victorious are repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase one connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Over The Carnage;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.